The Vermont Telecommunications Authority (VTA) announced today its intention to fund a multi-provider fiber communications link between Newport and Hardwick. VTA funds in the amount of $500,000 for construction of the fiber link were authorized in Act 53 of the 2011-2012 legislative session. VTA intends to ensure that the design of the proposed facility will include fiber strands which can be used for middle-mile and last-mile broadband purposes, as called for in the authorizing legislation.‘The VTA has received strong expression of community support for the expansion of fiber optic facilities in the Northeast Kingdom,’ said VTA Executive Director Christopher Campbell. ‘This project will connect and extend existing and planned fiber networks in one of Vermont’s most rural regions.’The fiber link will be available to multiple communications service providers to serve key businesses and institutional customers, local cellular networks and for last-mile broadband expansion.In early November, the VTA received responses to an October 24, 2011 Notice of Grant Funding. The VTA has invited all respondents to the Notice to participate cooperatively in the engineering and development of the project, and to receive strands on the project in return for partial capital contributions to the construction of the project. VTA intends to convene a process with the providers shortly to begin the design of the project. Construction of the link between two important regional centers, will provide new communications opportunities for economic development and education, while enabling new expansions of last-mile broadband and cellular services.
Huawei, China’s first global tech brand, is at the centre of US-Chinese tension over technology, security and spying.American officials say Huawei might facilitate Chinese spying, which the company denies. They also see Chinese government-supported technology development as a threat to US industrial dominance.US security complaints about Huawei focus on its business making switching equipment for phone and Internet companies and its leading role in next-generation telecom technology. The Trump administration is lobbying European and other allies to exclude Huawei and other Chinese suppliers as they upgrade networks.- Advertisement – Huawei’s announcement gave no financial details but said the company will have no ownership stake once the sale is completed. Huawei will retain its flagship Huawei smartphone brand.The buyer is a company formed by a technology enterprise owned by the government of the southern city of Shenzhen, where Huawei is headquartered, with a group of Honor retailers. Earlier news reports on rumours of a possible sale put the price as high as CNY 100 billion (roughly Rs. 1,13,300 crores).“The move has been made by Honor’s industry chain to ensure its own survival,” said a Huawei statement.- Advertisement – Chinese tech giant Huawei is selling its budget-price Honor smartphone brand in an effort to rescue the struggling business from damaging US sanctions imposed on its parent company.The move announced Tuesday is aimed at reviving Honor by separating it from Huawei’s network equipment and other businesses, which Washington says are a security threat, an accusation Huawei denies. They are under sanctions that block access to most US processor chips and other technology.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – Meanwhile, Huawei’s chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei, is being held in Canada and is fighting extradition to the United States to face charges related to possible violations of trade sanctions on Iran.Sanctions imposed last year block Huawei’s access to most US processor chips and other technology. Those were tightened this year when the White House barred manufacturers worldwide from using US technology to produce chips for Huawei, including those designed by its own engineers.Tuesday’s announcements gave no indication how Honor’s new owners planned to regain access to US chips and other technology including Google’s popular music, maps and other services. Other Chinese smartphone brands such as Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo operate without such restrictions.Honor, founded in 2013, is one of the world’s biggest-selling smartphone brands. Huawei says it ships 70 million handsets a year.Total shipments of Huawei and Honor handsets fell 5 percent from a year earlier in the quarter ending in June to 55.8 million, according to Canalys. Sales in China rose 8 percent but shipments abroad fell 27 percent.Huawei reported earlier sales for the first nine months of 2020 rose 9.9 percent to CNY 671.3 billion (roughly Rs. 7,60,700 crores). That was down from 13.1 percent growth in the first half, but the company said it still was profitable.Huawei’s smartphone sales outside China have suffered because the company is barred from preinstalling Google services, which many customers expect. Huawei is allowed to use Google’s Android operating system because it is open source and involves no commercial transaction with the American company.Huawei says it has removed US components from its core products but the president of its consumer unit, Richard Yu, warned in August the company was running out of chips for smartphones.Will Apple Silicon Lead to Affordable MacBooks in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.
Ghana Premier League revelation, Mathew Anim Cudjoe has revealed he is patiently waiting for an opportunity to make a difference with Ghana’s senior national team, the Black Stars.Anim Cudjoe was the talk of the day when he features in any matchday in the GPL. The 16-year-old played for Asante Kotoko on a season-long loan from second-tier side, Young Apostles.In an interview with the Ghana News Agency, Cudjoe couldn’t hold his desire of wanting to play for the national team and said he wants the national team coach, C.K Akonnor to present him an opportunity to show the world the football mastery he has at his feet.“I want to make a difference with the Black Stars and I am patiently waiting for the opportunity to showcase my talent.“I know it would happen soon. I’m waiting for the day the national team coach would present to me an opportunity to excel,” he told the GNA Sports in an interview.Playing for arguably the most successful club in Ghana at 16 in front of a forty thousand crowd could send chills down the spine of any teenager of his age but Cudjoe is rather motivated by the cheers of the crowd.It is true Kotoko and Hearts are the biggest clubs in the country and playing for them comes with a lot of pressure but I was never intimidated by the huge followers.“I am rather motivated when I see a huge crowd. I want to entertain them and make them happy with my style of play,” Anim Cudjoe said.The 16-year old winger featured six times for Asante Kotoko and scored a lone goal when Kotoko played Ebusua Dwarfs at home in GPL week 5. Tags: Black StarsMathew Cudjoe